How do you weed out shady contractors and find the best professional remodelers? Be sure to ask these questions when interviewing candidates for your remodeling job:
- Do you have General Liability Insurance?
- Do you carry worker’s compensation insurance?
- Will you provide me with a written lien waiver?
- Are you a member of NAHB Remodelers?
- Will you obtain all the required building permits?
- Do you guarantee your work?
- Who will be in charge of the job?
- Have you or your company been a party to any construction-related litigation within the past five years?
- Will you provide me with written references or contact information of previous customers?
- What percentage of your business is repeat or referral business?
- How many projects like mine have you completed in the last year?
- How will you protect my home? What about protecting my children and pets?
- How is cleanup handled?
From the National Association of Home Builders: www.nahb.org